eCall – Emergency Service Technology
All new cars in Europe will be equipped with eCall technology from April 2018. In the event of a serious accident, eCall automatically dials 112 – Europe’s single emergency number.
How does the eCall system work?
An eCall system will automatically contact emergency services in the event of a serious road accident, send GPS coordinates to local emergency services, and wirelessly send airbag-deployment and impact-sensor information.
eCall communicates the vehicle’s exact location to emergency services, the time of the incident, and the direction of travel (most important on motorways), even if the driver is unconscious or unable to make a phone call. An eCall can also be triggered manually by pushing a button in the car, for example by a passenger or witness of a serious accident. eCall will transmit the data that is absolutely necessary in case of an accident. Information only leaves the car in the event of a severe accident and is not stored any longer than necessary.
- eCall technology connects your vehicle to a trained 24-hour Emergency Response Operator in seconds.
- If an accident occurs, an emergency call is automatically triggered and an eCall Operator will speak into your vehicle to assist.
- The exact location of your vehicle is tracked during the incident and the operator will dispatch the correct Emergency Services.
- In vehicle SOS button allows you to manually connect to an Emergency Response Team at any time.
- eCall is proven to cut emergency services response times by as low as 50% in the countryside and 60% in built-up areas.
- eCall technology saves valuable seconds that could save your life.
The European Commission estimates that, once the system is fully implemented, eCall could save hundreds of lives every year and help injured people more quicker.
READ: CHOOSING BETWEEN A HYBRID AND ELECTRIC CAR: PROS AND CONS
ELECTRIC CARS: UNDERSTANDING TECHNICAL CHALLENGES
ENDDisclosure: Some of the links on are “affiliate links”, a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission. The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers. By using the affiliate links, you are helping support the VOUdeals website, and we genuinely appreciate your support. Tags: eCall, Emergency Car Crash Technology