The Health Professions Admissions Test (HPAT) is an important part of the process for applying to study medicine, occupational therapy, and other health-related disciplines in Ireland. If you are a Leaving Certificate student preparing for the HPAT, here are some tips to help you succeed:
Below are some important points to keep in mind for HPAT.
The night before the HPAT
- Make sure you take some time to relax. Take the night off and do something you enjoy.
- Organize yourself for the HPAT. Make sure you have all of the equipment that you need (importantly, acceptable identification, computer with webcam and microphone, suitable internet connection and scratch paper / whiteboard).
- Try to go to bed early and get a good night’s sleep.
The day of the HPAT
- You need to be in top mental, physical, psychological and emotional condition.
- Have a good meal prior to HPAT with lean protein and complex carbohydrates to sustain you.
- Engage in some positive self-talk. Ask others around you (e.g. your parents) to provide encouragement.
- In the exam, if you see any questions that are new or unexpected, leave them until last. They may be ‘trial’ questions that are unlikely to contribute to your score.
- Concentration is key in the HPAT. Become oblivious to your surroundings.
- Time yourself carefully and do not get stuck on difficult questions. If you are finding a question difficult, make an educated guess and move on.
We wish you the best of luck.
HPAT Ireland Preparation Course
MedEntry-HPAT is an online platform that provides comprehensive and high-quality resources to students preparing for the Health Professions Admissions Test (HPAT) in Ireland. MedEntry has helped 20,000 students over 20 years to become doctors.
If you’re interested in taking advantage of Medentry’s HPAT preparation services, be sure to use the discount code “AFPD-hsz58b” to save 10% off on the Online or Platinum package.