As one of the most picturesque states in India, Kerala, also known as “God’s Own Country,” offers plenty of things to do for visitors. With its beautiful beaches, tranquil backwaters, and rich cultural heritage, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Here are some of the top activities you can indulge in on your next holiday in Kerala:
- Take a cruise through the backwaters: Kerala’s backwaters are a network of tranquil lagoons and lakes that are ideal for a peaceful and serene cruise. It is a perfect opportunity to take in the natural beauty of the state while also observing local fishermen and their way of life.
- Visit the hill stations: Kerala is home to some of the most picturesque hill stations in India, including Munnar and Wayanad. These destinations offer visitors a chance to escape the heat and explore the tea plantations, cascading waterfalls, and beautiful colonial-era architecture.
- Try Ayurveda treatments: Kerala is famous for its Ayurvedic tradition and has many wellness centers that offer a variety of Ayurvedic treatments to visitors. These treatments are perfect to rejuvenate and refresh yourself while on a holiday.
- Indulge in local cuisine: Kerala’s food is a reflection of its culture and history. It offers a wide variety of delicious seafood and vegetarian dishes that are rich in spices and herbs. Visitors can indulge in traditional local dishes such as appam, dosa, and sambar to get a taste of the local flavors.
- Explore the beaches: Kerala is known for its long stretches of golden sand beaches. Kovalam and Marari beach are popular tourist spots that offer visitors an opportunity to soak up the sun and take in the natural beauty.
- Take a houseboat ride: Houseboats are a popular way to explore the backwaters and give visitors a chance to see the state from a different perspective. The houseboats are equipped with all modern amenities and it is a perfect way to relax and unwind.
- Explore the Wildlife Sanctuaries: Kerala is home to several wildlife sanctuaries that house a wide variety of flora and fauna. The famous Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary are perfect places to explore and spot elephants, tigers, and leopards.
- Visit the temples and churches: Kerala is a melting pot of different cultures and religions. There are many ancient temples and churches that visitors can explore to learn about the state’s rich cultural heritage.
- Take a dip in the natural hot water springs: Kerala is home to several natural hot water springs that are believed to have healing properties. Visitors can take a dip in these springs to rejuvenate and refresh themselves.
- Shop for souvenirs: Kerala is known for its handicrafts, textiles, and spices. Visitors can shop for souvenirs such as traditional sarees, wooden carvings, and spices to take back home.
With so many things to see and do, Kerala is the perfect destination for your next holiday. Be it the backwaters, hill stations, beaches, or temples, there’s something for every traveler.