Ayodhya is a city in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh that is known for its historical and cultural significance. Located on the banks of the Saryu River, Ayodhya is considered a holy city by Hindus, who believe it is the birthplace of Lord Ram, one of the most important deities in Hinduism. If you are planning a trip to Ayodhya, here are some of the top things to see and do in the city and its surrounding area:
- The Ram Temple: The Ram Temple, also known as the Sri Ram Janmabhoomi Temple, is a Hindu temple that is currently under construction in Ayodhya. The temple is being built on the site of the Babri Mosque, which was destroyed in 1992 by a group of Hindu nationalists. The temple is considered a sacred site by many Hindus, and it is expected to be open on January 1st, 2024.
- Hanuman Garhi: Located in the center of Ayodhya, Hanuman Garhi is a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman, a Hindu deity who is revered for his strength and devotion. The temple is built in the shape of a hill and features a large statue of Lord Hanuman.
- The Saryu River: The Saryu River is a sacred river in Hinduism and is considered to be the abode of Lord Ram. The river is a popular spot for pilgrims, who come to take a dip in its holy waters.
- The Kanak Bhawan: The Kanak Bhawan is a palace in Ayodhya that was built by Raja Dashrath, the father of Lord Ram. The palace is known for its beautiful architecture and is a popular tourist attraction.
- The Nageshwarnath Temple: Located about 5 kilometers from Ayodhya, the Nageshwarnath Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is known for its beautiful architecture and is a popular tourist destination.
In addition to these attractions, Ayodhya is also a good base for exploring the surrounding area. Some of the nearby places worth visiting include the city of Faizabad, which is known for its historical sites, and the town of Sravasti, which is an important Buddhist pilgrimage site.
READ: DISTANCE AND TRAVEL OPTIONS BETWEEN THE RAM TEMPLE IN AYODHYA AND THE TAJ MAHAL IN AGRA